Lecture and Discussion- Participants are encouraged to make the workshop more relevant to their concerns by asking questions.
The focus of this training is on applying underlying developmental & cross-cultural issues to impact psychological, interpersonal, & family dynamics in teaching, conducting therapy, working with, and/or communicating with adolescents, especially abuse victims. Social and cultural issues that apply to the teen lifestyle and expectations are examined and compared to adult and mainstream lifestyles and expectations. Aspects of four family systems therapies as applied to teens will be discussed. Participants will learn how to effectively apply the intervention and communication principles discussed.
SUMMARY OF CONTENT:
1) "Family Values" Failing Teens
Traditional Culture - Adult Culture - Teen Culture
The SANCTUARY - PRISON of Adolescence
2) Teenager- The Developmental Stage of Adolescence
3) Why Adolescents Don't (Can't) Invest
4) Child, Teen, Adult- Coming of Age Rituals & Improvision
Adolescent Transition Rituals
5) Authoritative vs. Authoritarian vs. Permissive Parenting
The Principle of Scaffolding
From Regulation to Co-regulation to Self-regulation
6) When Attitude Begats Attitude...
Taking Your Turn "Wrong!"
7) The Four Honorings of Communication Applied to Adult-Teen Talk
8) Adult Gifts to Adolescents: Anger!?, Distrust!?, Abandonment!?