• Problems: Unpopularity, Socially Isolation, Negative View of School, Somatization, Internalization of Negative Views of Self• Causes: Close Parental Relationships, Overprotectiveness, Lack of Coping Skills, Inexperience With Conflict Resolution• Characteristics: Physical Size, Youth, Sensitivity, Anxious Vulnerability, Fearful, Non-Confict Submissiveness
• Experiences advice about how to avoid bullying as meaning it is his/her fault that he/she is being bullied.• Experiences being protected or rescued as essential because of seeing oneself as helpless without others interventions.• Believe there little or nothing he/she can do to prevent being bullied, abused, or exploited.• Believe that he/she is inherently flawed and deserves to be bullied, abused, or exploited… or is shamed because of being unable to protect him/herself.
1. Support children not to become victims, but powerful individuals and community members.2. Support children not to become bullies, but individuals with appropriate strategies and behaviors for mastery and self-esteem in relationships and communities.3. Protect and empower children who are or have been victimized by bullies.4. Intervene, set boundaries, and redirect children who bully.
• Repetition, Aggression, Negative Intent, and Power Difference• Behavior, Verbalization To, and Verbalization About• Male Socialization and Bullying is Hierarchial• Female Socialization and Bullying is Relational (based on inclusion/exclusion): Attack on Person, Reputation, and Relationships
• Message: “You Can/Cannot protect or care for yourself.”• Experience: “I will facilitate Practice/No Practice in protecting or caring for yourself.”
• Problems: Effects on others, on self, learning, friendships, work, intimacy, income, & mental health• Causes: Coercion Parenting Model, Noncontingent Parenting, Relational Aggression• Characteristics: Hostile Attributional Bias; Perceived Provocation; Successful Short-Term Outcomes & Long Term Failures;• Downward Life Spiral;• The Reactive Bully- Both Bully & Victim